By Wrangler Network contributor the Dude Ranchers’ Assocation (DRA)
Dude and guest ranches are well known as popular family vacation destinations, but the Dude Ranchers’ Association (DRA) recognizes that adults also value time to themselves from time to time. When the kids get back on the bus, it’s time for parents to get back in the saddle for a classic Western getaway. Even if you don’t have children, it sounds tempting, doesn’t it?
Imagine a trip to the Wild West, with spectacular scenery, abundant activities, and top-notch accommodations and amenities for couples, solo travelers or even groups of friends. Starting at the end of August and continuing through October, dude ranches can be an enticing option for adult travelers looking to get away, with several ranches offering special adults-only weeks. Guests can enjoy a variety of activities during their visit from outdoor adventures like fishing and horseback riding, to taking in some of the nation’s most remarkable fall foliage, to experiencing flavorful, savory meals and wine pairings.
Dude ranches are an ideal vacation for those looking for much needed time alone, a new and exciting adventure, or even for those wanting to rekindle romance with their significant other. Read on for a list of dude ranches offering specialized activities and packages for adults this fall.
• For working ranches, fall means cattle drives, and guests are often invited to join in these memorable and interactive experiences. Colorado Cattle Company offers guests the chance to escape from reality and become a real life cowboy or cowgirl during their stay. This working ranch is located on 10,000 acres of grassland with cattle, rolling hills, canyons, streams and bluffs in Northeastern Colorado. Guests must be at least 18 year old, and will actively participate in everything from saddling and grooming their horse to sorting cattle, making an adult getaway here a true learning experience.
• Rekindling the romance is what Red Horse Mountain Ranch is all about in the fall. The ingredients are all there for a perfect getaway with your loved one: adventure, rustic and cozy suites, well-designed meals, romantic settings, 100+ horses, an attentive staff and a ranch nestled on 300,000 acres of Idaho’s Rocky Mountains. As an added bonus, the ranch also offers a variety of entertainment including wine tastings, seven-course dining experiences, evening concerts and readings from local cowboy poets.
• Many dude ranches offer special adults-only weeks and packages in the fall, providing solo travelers and couples the chance to experience a unique vacation. 63 Ranch, located about 50 miles north of Yellowstone National Park in Montana, and 7D Ranch, Wyoming’s premiere guest ranch located in the heart of the Absaroka Mountains, both offer adults-only weeks in late August and September. These ranches are home to some of the most remote and scenic areas of the country, and offer guests an abundance of activities from pack trips and hunting trips in the Wyoming wilderness to wild trout fishing and horseback riding under a canopy of rich red and gold leaves in Montana.
• Picture yourself riding horseback across the gorgeous rolling hills of Montana while taking in the vibrant autumn views. Bonanza Creek Country Guest Ranch offers a special, four-day Cowgirl Retreat during which female travelers will be treated to authentic Montana hospitality, the big sky and the chance to experience what it’s like to be a true cowgirl. From hearty meals to relaxing and reflecting with your horse, this getaway provides an enriching and enlightening experience that guests will cherish for a lifetime.
• The pace is relaxed during adults-only weeks at Paradise Guest Ranch, starting in late August through September. Located in Buffalo, Wyo., the ranch offers a photo-worthy setting complete with blue skies, beautiful fall colors and cool temperatures. During adults-only weeks, guests can enjoy horseback riding across the ranch’s sage meadows, hiking among wildflowers, fishing, performances from a number of guest musicians and talented crew members, and plenty of opportunities to reenergize and relax away from the kids.