The biggest rodeo of the year, aside from the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo, helped create the biggest shakeup in the PRCA World Standings in more than a year. With $1.48 million on the line at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo and $311,161 at La Fiesta de los Vaqueros in Tucson, Ariz., 61 cowboys moved up within the Top 15.
Veteran and rookie cowboys know it’s easier to maintain a position at the top than it is to play catch-up when trying to qualify for the WNFR. Every dollar counts, and making the Top 15 early establishes a solid base and builds a cowboy’s confidence as the season picks up pace.
Nobody knows that better than Josh Frost, William Gasperson, Patrick Smith and Jordan Ketscher. They weren’t even listed among the Top 50 in their respective events one week ago, and now they are sitting comfortably within the Top 15.
The following cowboys saw their position in the PRCA World Standings improve from Feb. 20-26.
Outside the Top 50
• Josh Frost is eighth in bull riding.
• William Gasperson is 12th in steer roping.
• Patrick Smith is 13th in team roping heeling.
• Jordan Ketscher is 15th in tie-down roping.
• William Wyatt moved from 46th to sixth in team roping heading.
• Troy Tillard moved from 48th to eighth in steer roping.
• Garrett Tribble moved from 44th to sixth in bull riding.
• Brodie Poppino moved from 45th to ninth in steer roping.
• Sterling Smith moved from 46th to 13th in tie-down roping.
• Billie Jack Saebens moved from 36th to fourth in team roping heeling.
• Coleman Proctor moved from 35th to fourth in team roping heading.
• Cole Edge moved from 36th to sixth in steer wrestling.
• Tommy Buckaloo moved from 33rd to fifth in team roping heading.
• Richmond Champion moved from 43rd to 15th in bareback riding.
• Steven Dent moved from 34th to 12th in bareback riding.
• Dakota Eldridge moved from 21st to first in steer wrestling.
• Cort Scheer moved from 28th to ninth in saddle bronc riding.
• Joseph Harrison moved from 21st to second in team roping heeling.
• Jacob Shofner moved from 28th to ninth in steer wrestling.
• CoBurn Bradshaw moved from 21st to fourth in saddle bronc riding.
• Rocky Patterson moved from 19th to third in steer roping.
• Ralph Williams moved from 28th to 13th in steer roping.
• Ryle Smith moved from 22nd to eighth in tie-down roping.
• Matt Shiozawa moved from 24th to 10th in tie-down roping.
• Mason Clements moved from 15th to second in bareback riding.
• Lon Danley moved from 25th to 14th in bull riding.
• Clint Laye moved from 20th to 10th in bareback riding.
• Scott Snedecor moved from 10th to first in steer roping.
• Cory Kidd V moved from 15th to seventh in team roping heading.
• Trace Porter moved from 12th to sixth in team roping heeling.
• Chris Glover moved from ninth to fifth in steer roping.
• Parker Breding moved from ninth to fifth in bull riding.
• Marty Yates moved from 11th to sixth in tie-down roping.
• Ty Breuer moved from 12th to seventh in bareback riding.
• Cody Quaney moved from 16th to 11th in tie-down roping.
• Caleb Bennett moved from fifth to first in bareback riding.
• Tyler Waguespack moved from ninth to fifth in steer wrestling.
• Zeke Thurston moved from 11th to seventh in saddle bronc riding.
• Elliot Jacoby moved from 14th to 10th in bull riding.
• Bradley Massey moved from 18th to 14th in team roping heeling.
• JJ Elshere moved from 16th to 13th in saddle bronc riding.
• Bradley Harter moved from 17th to 14th in saddle bronc riding.
• Bryce Davis moved from 17th to 14th in steer roping.
• Trey Benton III moved from fifth to third in bull riding.
• Tuf Cooper moved from seventh to fifth in tie-down roping.
• Garrett Hale moved from seventh to fifth in steer roping.
• Dustin Boquet moved from seventh to fifth in bull riding.
• Sterling Crawley moved from third to second in saddle bronc riding.
• Marcos Costa moved from third to second in tie-down roping.
• Tuf Cooper moved from third to second in steer roping.
• Bill Tutor moved from fourth to first in bareback riding.
• Curtis Cassidy moved from fourth to third in steer wrestling.
• Jake Pratt moved from fifth to fourth in tie-down roping.
• Rusty Wright moved from ninth to eighth in saddle bronc riding.
• Kyle Irwin moved from 14th to 13th in steer wrestling.
• Westyn Hughes moved from 15th to 14th in tie-down roping.
• Chad Mathis moved from 16th to 15th in steer roping.
Cowboys on the bubble for a spot in the Top 15 can find themselves just a few dollars short of making a WNFR qualification. The following cowboys climbed the standings to No. 16 this past week:
• Team roping header Trevor Brazile wasn’t even in the Top 50 one week ago, and now he’s $393 away from breaking into the Top 15.
• Steer wrestler Cody Cabral moved from 24th to 16th and is $3,015 away from breaking into the Top 15.
• Saddle bronc rider Shade Etbauer moved from 20th to 16th and is $41 away from breaking into the Top 15.
• Team roping heeler Evan Arnold moved from 17th to 16th and is $173 away from breaking into the Top 15.
With the Fort Mohave (Ariz.) Classic PRCA Xtreme Bulls on March 1-3 and several rodeos happening in the U.S. and Mexico this week, the outcomes of these rodeos are sure to impact the world standings.
Check back with prorodeo.com next week to see who the new leaders are in the world standings.
Courtesy of PRCA