Cowboy Christmas is underway, and 27 cowboys got a jumpstart to the most lucrative time of the regular season by improving their position within the Top 15 this week. With $709,137 on the table across 18 PRCA competitions, June 25 through July 1 saw many of the top cowboys winning large checks across the continent.
Veteran and rookie cowboys know it’s easier to maintain a position at the top than it is to play catch-up when trying to qualify for the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo. Every dollar counts, and making the Top 15 in the PRCA | RAM World Standings early establishes a solid base and builds a cowboy’s confidence as the season picks up pace.
Nobody knows this better than team roping header Charly Crawford. The Oregon cowboy and nine-time qualifier for the Wrangler NFR (2005-07, 2009-10, 2012-14, 2017) won $3,715 this week, which launched him seven spots from 22nd to 15th in the world standings.
The following cowboys saw their position in the PRCA World Standings improve from June 25 through July 1.
• Caleb Smidt moved from 17th to 11th in tie-down roping.
• Blake Teixeira moved from 18th to 14th in team roping heading.
• Scott Kormos moved from 18th to 14th in tie-down roping.
• Cole Melancon moved from 18th to 14th in bull riding.
• Riley Duvall moved from 10th to seventh in steer wrestling.
• Junior Nogueira moved from 10th to seventh in team roping heeling.
• Clayton Sellars moved from sixth to fourth in bull riding.
• Boudreaux Campbell moved from 10th to eighth in bull riding.
• Joey Sonnier III moved from 12th to 10th in saddle bronc riding.
• Nelson Wyatt moved from 11th to ninth in team roping heading.
• Koby Radley moved from 13th to 11th in bull riding.
• Clint Summers moved from 14th to 12th in team roping heeling.
• Blake Knowles moved from 15th to 13th in steer wrestling.
• J. Tom Fisher moved from 17th to 15th in steer roping.
• Riker Carter moved from 17th to 15th in bull riding.
• Ryle Smith moved from third to second in tie-down roping.
• Jake Pratt moved from fourth to third in tie-down roping.
• Jake Brown moved from fifth to fourth in bareback riding.
• Isaac Diaz moved from fifth to fourth in saddle bronc riding.
• Kaleb Driggers moved from eighth to seventh in team roping heading.
• Ryder Wright moved from ninth to eighth in saddle bronc riding.
• Cory Solomon moved from ninth to eighth in tie-down roping.
• Jarrett Blessing moved from 12th to 11th in steer roping.
• Corey Ross moved from 14th to 13th in steer roping.
• Cort Scheer moved from 15th to 14th in saddle bronc riding.
• Ty Erickson moved from 16th to 15th in steer wrestling.
Cowboys on the bubble for a spot in the Top 15 can find themselves a few dollars short of qualifying for the Wrangler NFR. The following cowboys climbed the standings to No. 16.
• Saddle bronc rider Cody DeMoss moved from 21st to 16th and is $4,498 away from breaking into the Top 15.
• Steer roper Roger Branch moved from 18th to 16th and is $526 away from breaking into the Top 15.
• Team roping heeler Jason Duby moved from 17th to 16th and is $715 away from breaking into the Top 15.
With Cowboy Christmas in full swing, the outcome of the most action-packed week of the regular season is sure to impact the world standings.
Check back with prorodeo.com next week to see who the new leaders are in the world standings.
Courtesy of PRCA