• 2 U.S Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets
• 1 egg
• ½ cup buttermilk
• ¾ cup cornmeal
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon dried basil
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 6 slices of green tomatoes, 1/4-inch-thick (about 2 tomatoes)
• 1 cup vegetable oil
1. Heat oil to 350°F in a large skillet.
2. Whisk egg and buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour and seasonings. Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
3. Fry tomato slices, in batches, in hot oil for 1 minute on each side; drain on paper towels. Remove any excess oil from the pan.
4. Season catfish fillets with salt and pepper and place in the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan. Cut fillets in half. Place a fried tomato on the plate and top with catfish. Repeat, ending with tomato on top. Serve with a side salad and your favorite dressing.
Yields: 2 servings
We would love to hear your thoughts after trying this one! I always check the label to make sure it’s U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish and so should you. Enjoy 100% All-American!