by ProRodeo.com | Oct 06, 2014
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The winners of the AQHA Horses of the Year awards have been announced. Three horses were chosen in each of the six categories, and it was a championship class made special by the number of newcomers – there were five horses that were first-time winners.
Steer roping horse Olee Roberto (Major), owned by Thomas Snedecor and ridden by his son, Scott, is the only repeat winner. A year ago, Major tied for the top spot with Dan Fisher’s Woody, and this time he won the award outright.
Each owner of the winning team roping horses celebrated their second victories. This is the second consecutive win for team roping header Brandon Beers. His horse, Lucy’s Fast Jewel (Jewel), finished on top of the standings last year, and Beers was No. 1 again this year with El Tevo Cash (Tevo).
Team roping heeler Brady Minor also claimed his second win. Dugout was first in the 2011 balloting, and Minor came back with Rey this year.
Hunter Herrin’s win with Rambo ended a five-year run in which the tie-down roping award had gone to either Pearl (2009, 2013) or Sweetness (2010-12).
Here are the full results of each event:
1. El Tevo Cash (Tevo), owner Brandon Beers
2. Hickory Quick Bar (Patron), owner Charly Crawford
3. My Frosty Cocoa (Dolly), owner Dustin Bird
1. Reyshines on Top (Rey), owner Brady Minor
2. CD Starbucks (Starbucks), owner Ryan Motes
3. Zans Colonel Shine (Colonel), owner Jake Long
1. Dualin Demon (Rambo), owner Hunter Herrin
2. Eatin with Rooster (Chicken), owner Marty Yates
3. Big Smokin Wonder (Pearl), owner Sid Miller
1. Olee Roberto (Major), owner Thomas Snedecor
2. DW Zans Dude (Dude), owner Tony and Kelly Reina
3. Weavers Diamond Bar (Rowdy), owner Tim Tillard
1. Landrys Cadillac (Cadillac), owner Frank Sterling Wallace
2/3. Last Call Hall (Earl), owner Trevor Knowles
2/3. Say Rey Doc (Doc), owner Tom Duvall
1. Wonders Cowboy Dan (Cowboy), owner H.Q. Bass
2. Dasher Dude (Rootie), owner Britany Diaz
3. Guys Six Pack to Go (Six Pack), owner Kathleen Collier
Courtesy of PRCA