Reese Cates picked up his second event win of the season Saturday and shot to No. 3 in the world standings with a strong effort in Sacramento.
Cates covered Imagine That for 86 points on Friday night, and followed that effort with 87.5 points aboard Earl Sports to tie for second in Round 2 withValdiron de Oliveira. No riders earned qualified rides in the Built Ford Tough Championship Round, and Cates earned big points for winning the event average.
All totaled, Cates earned 455 points towards the world standings in Sacramento, and valued himself to No. 3 in the world standings.
Cates’ rise up the standings wasn’t the only shakeup at the top. Matt Triplett is the new No. 1 rider in the world standings. Triplett won Round 2 on Saturday with 87.75 points on Slinger Back. The round win netted Triplett 100 points, and he earned 185 world standings points for the entire event to move atop the world standings, 165 points ahead of former No. 1 Silvano Alves who is now in second place.
Tanner Byrne finished second in the event with 270 world standings points, followed by Brandy Sims in third with 225 points, Triplett with 185 points and Oliveira with 140 world standings points.
Triplett continued his hot start to the season, riding Slinger Back for 87.75 points in Round 2 to win the round and 100 important world standings points.
Cates and Oliveira tied for second place in Round 2 with 87.5-point rides, with Oliveira riding Modified Clyde and Cates covering Earl Sports. The two riders each earned 55 world standings points for the effort.
Douglas Duncan put together an 87-point ride aboard Classic Whoppin’ to earn fourth place and 40 world standings points. Renato Nunes claimed fifth place, and 30 world standings points with 86.5 points on Heavy Dose.
Eight riders put together two qualified rides in Sacramento.
The bulls got the best of the riders in the Built Ford Tough Championship Round, with Smooth Operator earning high-marked bull honors. Smooth Operator bucked off Jordan Hupp in 1.64 seconds to earn a bull score of 45.5 points.
The Built Ford Tough Series stays in California next week, with the Anaheim Invitational set to take place Feb. 6-8 at the Honda Center.
Professional Bull Riders – Sacramento Invitational
Sacramento, Calif. – Event Leaders (Round 1-Round 2-Round 3-Event Aggregate-Event Points) …
1. Reese T. Cates, 86-87.5-0-173.50-455 Points.
2. Tanner Byrne, 86.75-86.25-0-173.00-270 Points.
3. Brady Sims, 87-85.75-0-172.75-225 Points.
4. Matt Triplett, 84-87.75-0-171.75-185 Points.
5. Valdiron de Oliveira, 84.25-87.5-0-171.75-140 Points.
6. Ryan Dirteater, 87.5-0-0-87.50-110 Points.
7. Fabiano Vieira, 87.25-0-0-87.25-70 Points.
8. Shane Proctor, 87-82-0-169.00-60 Points.
9. Douglas Duncan, 0-87-0-87.00-50 Points.
10. Renato Nunes, 0-86.5-0-86.50-40 Points.
11. Kasey Hayes, 85-85.75-0-170.75-32.5 Points.
(tie). Zane Lambert, 84.75-86-0-170.75-32.5 Points.
13. Ben Jones, 86-0-0-86.00-10 Points.
(tie). Joao Ricardo Vieira, 0-86.25-0-86.25-10 Points.
(tie). Harve Stewart, 85.5-0-0-85.50-10 Points.
16. Bryan Titman, 85.25-0-0-85.25
17. Jordan Hupp, 85-0-0-85.00
(tie). Stormy Wing, 0-85-0-85.00
19. Chase Outlaw, 84.5-0-0-84.50
20. Sean Willingham, 84-0-0-84.00
21. Nathan Schaper, 82.75-0-0-82.75
22. Silvano Alves, 0-82.25-0-82.25
J. B. Mauney, 0-0-0-0.00
Guilherme Marchi, 0-0-0-0.00
Cody Nance, 0-0-0-0.00
Mike Lee, 0-0-0-0.00
Eduardo Aparecido, 0-0-0-0.00
J.W. Harris, 0-0-0-0.00
Tyler Harr, 0-0-0-0.00
Lachlan Richardson, 0-0-0-0.00
L.J. Jenkins, 0-0-0-0.00
Stetson Lawrence, 0-0-0-0.00
Billy Robinson, 0-0-0-0.00
Jason Malone, 0-0-0-0.00
Marco Eguchi, 0-0-0-0.00
Gage Gay, 0-0-0-0.00
© 2015 PBR Inc. All rights reserved.