Tristen Hutchings knows what it’s like to ride bulls in pressure-packed situations. In 2021, he captured the Bull Riding National Championship at the College National Finals Rodeo for Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas.
He showed some of that pedigree the past month in ProRodeo.
In the last 27 days, Hutchings has earned $44,359 at 14 different rodeos. The windfall has moved him from 13th in the PRCA | RAM World Standings to seventh in the past two weeks. He said a lot of his success has to do with the luck of the draw.
“Big rodeos and good bulls have had a lot to do with it,” said Hutchings, 22. “I felt like I’ve been finally drawing good bulls and when I have been drawing good ones, I’ve been capitalizing on them. I’ve been making sure to stay on at the right rodeos.”
Last season, Hutchings finished ninth in the running for the Resistol Rookie of the Year. Now, he finds himself in position to make his first trip to Las Vegas for the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo with $114,902 earned in 2022.
“I’m very excited and I’m not quite sure it has 100 percent set in yet to be honest with you,” he said. “I was outside of the Top 15 for most of the year, but you know I always had thought I could be right there with those guys at this point in the year.”
Hutchings said confidence was key for him during the key stretch.
“I was hoping to have this type of success, but at the beginning of the year I don’t know if I was fully expecting it,” Hutchings said. “The last few weeks all of the cards kind of fell together for me. I think this month has really helped me out confidence-wise. I think having confidence in yourself is 95 percent of bull riding.”
Below, are the other cowboys who moved inside the Top 15 of the PRCA | RAM World Standings over the last two weeks.
• Bull rider Ky Hamilton moved up in the standings from 16th to eighth.
• Team roping heeler Jonathan Torres went from 22nd to 15th.
• Bull rider Tristen Hutchings jumped up from 13th to seventh.
• Bareback rider Leighton Berry leaped from 13th to ninth.
• Steer roper Garrett Hale moved from 17th to 13th.
• Team roping heeler Logan Medlin went up in the standings from ninth to fifth.
• Team roping header Jake Orman jumped from 19th to 15th.
• Team roping header Coleman Proctor leaped up from eighth to fourth.
• Team roping header Cody Snow moved from 13th to ninth.
• Saddle bronc rider Layton Green went up from 11th to eighth.
• Steer wrestler Nick Guy jumped in the standings from 18th to 15th.
• Bull rider Trevor Kastner leaped from 12th to ninth.
• Team roping heeler Wesley Thorp moved up from 14th to 11th.
• Steer roper Vin Fisher Jr. went from 10th to eighth.
• Steer wrestler Stetson Jorgensen jumped from third to first.
• Tie-down roper Cooper Martin leaped up in the standings from 17th to 15th.
• Team roping heeler Lane Mitchell moved from 16th to 14th.
• Bull rider Jared Parsonage went up from 14th to 12th.
• Tie-down roper Riley Webb jumped from 13th to 11th.
• Tie-down roper Marty Yates leaped up from 10th to eighth.
• Team roping header Lightning Aguilera moved in the standings from 12th to 11th.
• Saddle bronc rider Kole Ashbacher went up from 15th to 14th.
• Bareback rider Caleb Bennett jumped from fourth to third.
• Steer wrestler Jesse Brown leaped up from 12th to 11th.
• Saddle bronc rider Tanner Butner moved from 16th to 15th.
• Steer roper Bryce Davis went up in the standings from 13th to 12th.
• Bareback rider Wyatt Denny jumped from 16th to 15th.
• Saddle bronc rider Dawson Hay leaped up from 13th to 12th.
• Saddle bronc rider Lefty Holman moved from sixth to fifth.
• Tie-down roper Zack Jongbloed went up from seventh to sixth.
• Steer wrestler Will Lummus jumped in the standings from fourth to third.
• Tie-down roper Haven Meged leaped from fourth to third.
• Bareback rider Jess Pope moved up from second to first.
• Steer roper Taylor Santos went from 11th to 10th.
On The Bubble
• Bull rider Reid Oftedahl jumped from 24th to 16th and is $5,412 outside the Top 15.
• Team roping header Paul David Tierney leaped in the standings from 21st to 16th and is $2,697 outside the Top 15.
Courtesy of PRCA