• 4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets or nuggets, cut into small pieces
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 medium onion, finely diced
• 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 package taco seasoning
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• ½ cup canned corn, drained
• ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 3 packages of puff pastry (6 sheets), thawed but still cold
• 1 egg, beaten
1. HEAT oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. ADD the onion and pepper, and cook 5 minutes or until softened. ADD garlic; cook additional 1 minute.
2. ADD the catfish, taco seasoning and cumin. COOK for 8 minutes or until fish is fully cooked. ADD the corn, beans and cilantro, and stir to combine all ingredients. REMOVE from the heat, and let cool slightly. PREHEAT oven to 375˚ F.
3. PLACE the pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface, and roll out slightly. CUT 6, 5-inch rounds out of each pastry sheet. PLACE heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of the circle. BRUSH the edges of the dough with egg wash, fold over, and crimp edges with a fork. REPEAT these steps using up all the pastry dough and filling.
4. PLACE empanadas on a parchment-lined sheet tray, and bake for 25 minutes until golden. PLATTER and serve with avocado ranch dressing. MAKES 36 EMPANADAS.
We would love to hear your thoughts after trying this one! I always check the label to make sure it’s U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish and so should you. Enjoy 100% All-American!