Many of the PRCA’s top cowboys are heading to the Dodge City (Kan.) Roundup this week in hopes of winning their share of the prize money, collecting ProRodeo Tour points and possibly setting a Dodge City record.
Since its inception in 1977, many stunning rides and runs have been made at the Dodge City Roundup – but only the best make the record book.
Two-time world champion saddle bronc rider Cody Wright (2008 and 2010) set the Dodge City two-head average record in 2013 when he scored 175 points. Six years later his son, Rusty, broke his record with 182 points on two head.
The entire 2019 Dodge City Roundup was a family affair for the Wrights as Rusty, Ryder, Spencer and Stetson won a collective $15,046, nearly half of which was brought home by Rusty.
Rusty had a clean sweep of the 2019 Dodge City Roundup. He won the first round with a 90-point ride on Frontier Rodeo’s Lett’er Rip and the final round with 92-point ride on Frontier Rodeo’s Big News. Rusty’s Dodge City grand slam gave him a $7,144 boost in the PRCA | RAM World Standings en route to his fourth trip to the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo and ultimately breaking the $1 million mark in career earnings at the end of the 2019 season.
This year’s competitors have from July 29 through Aug. 2 to leave their mark by topping one of Dodge City’s best rides and runs while also collecting valuable ProRodeo Tour points.
Fans can catch the Dodge City action at 9 p.m. (ET) each night through the finale on both the PRCA on the Cowboy Channel Plus App as well as The Cowboy Channel.
• Total payout: $333,008, 2018
• All-around: $9,944, Trevor Brazile, 2005
• Bareback riding: 91 points, Jason Jeter, 2004 (175/2 Steven Dent and Will Lowe, 2019)
• Steer wrestling: 3.2 seconds, Dean Gorsuch, 2012; Bray Armes, 2013 (11.3/3, Ronnie Fields, 2003; 8.3/2, Rick Bradley, 1996)
• Team roping: 4.1 seconds, Jake Barnes/Boogie Ray, 2003 (15.2/3, Jake Cooper/Matt Garza, 2011)
• Saddle bronc riding: 93 points, Isaac Diaz, 2015 (182/2, Rusty Wright, 2019)
• Tie-down roping: 6.9 seconds, Trevor Brazile, 2005 (24.4/3, Cash Myers, 2007; 16.8/2, Jerome Schneeberger, 1997)
• Barrel racing: 15.59 seconds, Lanita Powers, 1997 (48.68/3, Sheri Sinor-Estrada, 2007; 31.64/2, Kristie Peterson, 1997)
• Steer roping: 8.4 seconds, Guy Allen, 2000 (28.6/3, Guy Allen, 2001)
• Bull riding: 94 points, Clayton Foltyn, 2013 (180/2, Clayton Foltyn and Trevor Kastner, 2013)
Courtesy of PRCA