Holding a record at a ProRodeo competition is a special achievement, and holding two of them for more than a decade is practically unheard of, but that’s par for the course for ProRodeo living legend Trevor Brazile.
Brazile owns two records at the Lawton (Okla.) Rangers Rodeo, where he’s won the rodeo six times since his rookie year in 1996, three times for tie-down roping (2005, 2007, 2014) and three times as the all-around cowboy (2009, 2014, 2018). His 2007 tie-down roping time of 6.8 seconds set the Lawton record, while his $6,611 in earnings at Lawton in 2009 set the all-around cowboy record.
Brazile is known for setting records and rewriting ProRodeo history. He’s won 25 world titles: 14 in all-around (2002-04, 2006-15, 2018); one in team roping (2010); three in tie-down roping (2007, 2009-10) and seven in steer roping (2006-07, 2011, 2013-15, 2019).
Brazile has competed at the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo 31 times (TD 1999-2011, 2013-15, 2017, 2018; TR 1998, 2003-04, 2006-15) and the National Finals Steer Roping 22 times (1997-2015, 2017-19).
Although he’s taken a step back from competing in several events, the 43-year-old remains a mainstay near the top of the PRCA | RAM World Standings in steer roping. As of Aug. 4, Brazile was third in the world in steer roping and $27,681 away from breaking the $7 million mark for career earnings.
Although the Lawton Rangers Rodeo is celebrating its 82nd year of competition, the rodeo’s PRCA record book began in 1946 and includes some of the biggest names in the sport.
Brazile’s Lawton records, and the rest, could be broken as ProRodeo athletes compete for their share of the prize money and valuable ProRodeo Tour points, Aug. 5-8. Fans can catch all the Lawton action on the PRCA on Cowboy Channel Plus App, Aug. 5-8 at 8:30 p.m. (ET).
• Total payout: $208,128, 2003
• All-around: $6,611, Trevor Brazile, 2009
• Bareback riding: 90 points, James Boudreau, 2003; Justin McDaniel, 2009
• Steer wrestling: 3.1 seconds, Sean Mulligan, 2015; Clayton Hass, 2015; J.D. Struxness, 2016
• Team roping: 3.8 seconds, Colter Todd/Cesar de la Cruz, 2008
• Saddle bronc riding: 90 points, Wade Sundell, 2015
• Tie-down roping: 6.8 seconds, Trevor Brazile, 2007
• Barrel racing: 16.93 seconds, Lisa Lockhart, 2017
• Bull riding: 94 points, Blu Bryant, 2003; Dave Samsel, 2008
Courtesy of PRCA