Pedro Egurrola used the big-money opportunity from the RAM National Circuit Finals Rodeo this past weekend to his advantage.
The 25-year-old from Florence, Ariz., earned more than $9,159 at the RAM NCFR and skyrocketed from 90th in the PRCA | RAM World Standings to 13th, cracking the Top 15 and moving into a spot to possibly qualify for the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo.
The team roping header and his heeling partner Trevor Nowlin tied for fourth in the second round of the RAM NCFR, took third in the semifinals and finished as runners-up in the finals in Kissimmee, Fla.
The crazy thing is that Egurrola’s jump wasn’t even the biggest of the week that was April 5-11.
While Egurrola jumped 77 spots, heeler Junior Nogueira, the 2016 all-around world champion, jumped 79 spots, climbing from 84th to fifth.
Nogueira, teamed with header Dustin Egusquiza in Kissimmee, earned $17,088, among the highest payouts over the weekend.
The RAM NCFR played havoc with the world standings, and that’s a good thing. With a payout north of $600,000, cowboys saw plenty of jumps in the standings.
The others who moved among the Top 15 are:
• Kade Bruno rocketed from 51st to 11th in saddle bronc riding.
• Andrew Ward rocketed from 43rd to fourth in team roping heading.
• Buddy Hawkins II jumped from 42nd to fourth in team roping heeling.
• Dylan Schroeder leaped from 42nd to 10th in steer wrestling.
• Trey Young jumped from 35th to 10th in tie-down roping.
• Jake Finlay jumped from 21st to seventh in saddle bronc riding.
• Spencer Wright leaped from 22nd to ninth in saddle bronc riding.
• Steer wrestler Jesse Brown climbed from 15th to fourth.
• Tanner Aus jumped from 13th to seventh in bareback riding.
• Marc Joiner climbed from 10th to fifth in steer wrestling.
• Kyle Lucas moved to third in tie-down roping.
• Riley Minor climbed from ninth to sixth in team roping heading.
• Justin Smith moved up to 12th in tie-down roping.
• Stetson Wright moved to second in bull riding.
• Wyatt Casper climbed to fifth in saddle bronc riding.
• Richmond Champion moved to third in bareback riding.
• Cody DeMoss moved from fourth to third in saddle bronc riding.
• Kincade Henry moved from ninth to eighth in tie-down roping.
On the bubble
• Jake Stocking moved into the 16th spot and is $1,518 away from cracking the Top 15.
Courtesy of PRCA