After just missing the Wrangler NFR the last two years he has his sights set on returning to Vegas in December.
Yates took a big step forward to accomplishing that goal last week, winning a round in both Spanish Fork and Ogden, Utah. His run at the Fiesta Days Rodeo was the fastest in his eight-year ProRodeo career.
“We won all our money last week really on two steers, “said Yates, 26. “We had a nearly perfect steer in Spanish Fork, and we were 3.8. I told my partner Tyler (Wade) that was the first time I was three in my career. I couldn’t think of a better time for it to come, it was a pretty good confidence boost going into the week of Cheyenne (Wyo.).”
The pair of round wins earned Yates $5,688 in the PRCA | RAM World Standings. He jumped six spots in the standings up to 10th this week with $38,460.
“It’s been a couple years here where I haven’t made it to the NFR, you know I’ve come close, but fallen just short,” Yates said. “I put things back into perspective last week and now I’m just going out and having fun. I have full faith in my partner, my horses, and all the scenarios we will be put in. If we draw good and we rope good, we should be all right coming down the stretch here.”
Yates was 22nd and 17th in the 2019 and 2020 world standings, respectively.
Below are the other cowboys who moved within the Top 15 of the PRCA | RAM World Standings.
• Team roping heeler Joseph Harrison went from 19th to 13th.
• Team roping header Aaron Tsinigine jumped in the standings from 20th to 15th.
• Steer wrestler Hunter Cure moved up from 16th to 13th.
• Team roping heeler Cole Davison went from 12th to ninth.
• Steer wrestler Ty Erickson jumped from 17th to 14th.
• Bareback rider Jamie Howlett from 16th to 13th.
• Steer wrestler Eli Lord went up from 15th to 12th.
• Saddle bronc rider Layton Green went up in the standings from 16th to 14th.
• Team roping header Brenten Hall moved from 13th to 11th.
• Tie-down roper Ryan Jarrett jumped up from ninth to seventh.
• Bareback rider Jess Pope moved up from ninth to seventh.
• Bull rider Brady Portenier went up in the standings from 14th to 12th.
• Bareback rider Garrett Shadbolt jumped from eighth to six.
• Steer wrestler Dirk Tavenner went up from 13th to 11th.
• Team roping header Clay Tryan jumped up from eighth to sixth.
• Team roping header Tyler Wade moved from 11th to ninth.
• Saddle bronc rider Spencer Wright went from ninth to seventh.
• Tie-down roper Marty Yates moved inside the Top 15 from 16th to 14th.
• Bareback rider Clayton Biglow moved from fourth to third.
• Bull rider Dustin Boquet went from 11th to 10th.
• Bull rider Boudreaux Campbell moved up from 10th to ninth.
• Team roping header Kaleb Driggers jumped from fifth to fourth.
• Steer wrestler Stockton Graves went up from seventh to sixth.
• Team roping heeler Travis Graves moved from second to first.
• Bareback rider Orin Larsen jumped up from 13th to 12th.
• Team roping heeler Jake Long went from sixth to fifth.
• Tie-down roper Shad Mayfield moved from fourth to third.
• Team roping heeler Trevor Nowlin jumped from 15th to 14th.
• Tie-down roper Caleb Smidt went up from fifth to fourth.
• Team roping header Cody Snow moved up from sixth to fifth.
• Team roping heeler Chase Tryan jumped in the standings from ninth to eighth.
• Bull rider Creek Young went from seventh to sixth.
On the Bubble:
• Tie-down roper Ty Harris moved up in the standings from 19th to 16th and is $4,886 outside of the Top 15.
• Bull rider Roscoe Jarboe went from 18th to 16th and is $541 outside of the Top 15.
• Team roping header Hayes Smith jumped up from 18th to 16th and is $613 outside of the Top 15.
Courtesy of PRCA