Courtesy of Wrangler Network contributor Scoop from the Coop
When it comes to bedding in the chicken coop, there are lots of options for backyard flock owners to choose from. Nutrena poultry expert Twain Lockhart shares his thoughts on the most common types, and the pros and cons of each.
• Shavings and straw are the two most commonly used types of bedding
• Do not use sawdust as it can cause respiratory issues
• Avoid redwood and cedar as some woods carry toxins that can cause respiratory and eye issues
• Use natural dirt or sand to lay down underneath the bedding
• Your nose will tell you how often to change the bedding