Derrick Begay has accomplished so much in the sport of rodeo throughout his 19-year PRCA career.
He’s won over $1.5 million and qualified to the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo nine times, yet he’s still not satisfied.
The Seba Dalkai, Ariz., team roping header has his sights set on another trip to Las Vegas in 2023. Over the past week, Begay jumped seven spots in the PRCA | RAM World Standings up to No. 12.
“As tough as team roping is nowadays you have to draw good to have success,” said Begay, 39. “It requires you having a solid horse and doing your job as well. The places that we’ve won this year we’ve drawn well at every single one of them.”
Begay and partner Colter Todd are coming off a solid performance at the Red Bluff (Calif.) Round-Up. The duo finished fifth in the average and pocketed $3,902 each for their four runs. He said his horse doesn’t stand out among the best, but he gives him a good chance to win when the opportunity presents itself.
“I’m riding a 13-year-old sorrel right now. He’s not the fanciest, the prettiest, or the best,” he said. “But when you draw good steers, he will always give you a chance at least.”
Even though Begay sits in the Top 15 of the world standings, he said it’s not a guarantee that he will push to make the Wrangler NFR in 2023. He plans to play it by ear over the summer run.
“You know when it comes to making the NFR, I don’t have it written on the wall or tell myself that I have to make it,” Begay said. “We don’t plan too far ahead because we have stuff at home that we have to tend to at times. If things go right, you might see us out there quite a bit this summer.”
Below, are the other cowboys who moved inside the Top 15 of the PRCA | RAM World Standings over the last week.
• Steer wrestler Bridger Anderson moved up from 20th to 12th.
• Team roping header Derrick Begay went from 19th to 12th.
• Tie-down roper Blane Cox jumped from 16th to 11th.
• Bareback rider Garrett Shadbolt leaped from ninth to sixth.
• Team roping header Chad Masters moved from 17th to 14th.
• Bull rider Trevor Reiste went up from 17th to 14th.
• Steer wrestler Ty Erickson jumped from sixth to fourth.
• Team roping heeler Sid Sporer leaped from 17th to 15th.
• Saddle bronc rider Kade Bruno moved from eighth to sixth.
• Tie-down roper Shad Mayfield went from sixth to fourth.
• Bareback rider Kaycee Feild jumped up from fourth to third.
• Bareback rider Taylor Broussard leaped from eighth to seventh.
• Steer wrestler Stan Branco moved from 12th to 11th.
• Saddle bronc rider Cash Wilson went from 13th to 12th.
• Tie-down roper Riley Pruitt jumped from 10th to ninth.
• Bull rider Trey Benton III leaped up from 10th to ninth.
• Bull rider Creek Young moved from 13th to 12th.
On The Bubble
Courtesy of PRCA