Jesse Brown qualified for his second straight Wrangler National Finals Rodeo a year ago. The Baker City, Ore., steer wrestler knows what it takes in the final month of the ProRodeo regular season to punch his ticket to the Finals.
His experience inside and outside the arena is proving valuable this season. Last week alone he added $11,037 to his name, bumping him up three spots in the PRCA | RAM World Standings to 10th with $80,648.
His win in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., at the Rancho Mission Viejo Rodeo provided a major boost. Brown laid down a 3.6-second run to not only win the rodeo but add $9,430 to his earnings.
“I think horsepower has been the biggest reason for my success lately,” said Brown, 30. “We hauled Tyson (Curtis Cassidy’s horse) down there from Bremerton (Wash.) and it’s sure nice to be riding a horse you’ve been on all year at one of the biggest one-header events of the season.”
Brown said it’s easier this time of year when you know you’ve punched your ticket to the NFR, but the competitive nature of rodeo makes it a lot of fun.
“It’s fun and makes it exciting, but it’s a lot better when you know you’re in at this point in the season,” he said. “It is a lot less stress when you are in like I was last year, but still, it’s fun and really competitive obviously.”
And he knows exactly what it’ll take with four weeks remaining in the ProRodeo regular season to book his return trip to Las Vegas.
“I think it’ll come down to just doing my job and win as much as possible,” Brown said. “I think it’s close to where I don’t have to go crazy and win a pile of cash. But I just need to take care of business and see what happens.”
Below, are the other cowboys who moved inside the Top 15 of the PRCA | RAM World Standings.
• Bull rider Lukasey Morris moved up in the standings from 16th to ninth.
• Team roping header Aaron Tsinigine went from 20th to 15th.
• Steer wrestler Jesse Brown jumped up from 13th to 10th.
• Team roping header Jake Cooper Clay leaped from 17th to 14th.
• Team roping heeler Joseph Harrison moved from 13th to 10th.
• Tie-down roper Riley Webb went up in the standings from 15th to 12th.
• Saddle bronc rider Damian Brennan jumped from 17th to 15th.
• Bareback rider Cole Franks leaped up from 12th to 10th.
• Bull rider Trevor Kastner moved from 12th to 10th.
• Tie-down roper Tyler Milligan went up from 10th to eighth.
• Team roping heeler Lane Mitchell jumped in the standings from 17th to 15th.
• Bareback rider Chad Rutherford leaped from 16th to 14th.
• Steer wrestler J.D. Struxness moved up from sixth to fourth.
• Team roping header Tanner Tomlinson went from ninth to seventh.
• Team roping header Lightning Aguilera jumped up from 12th to 11th.
• Bareback rider Caleb Bennett leaped in the standings from fifth to fourth.
• Bareback rider Clayton Biglow moved from 10th to ninth.
• Saddle bronc rider Kade Bruno went up from ninth to eighth.
• Tie-down roper Tuf Cooper jumped from sixth to fifth.
• Team roping header Dustin Egusquiza leaped up from fifth to fourth.
• Bareback rider Kaycee Feild moved up in the standings from eighth to seventh.
• Steer roper J. Tom Fisher went from seventh to sixth.
• Team roping heeler Travis Graves jumped up from sixth to fifth.
• Tie-down roper Shane Hanchey leaped from eighth to seventh.
• Team roping heeler Buddy Hawkins II moved up from third to second.
• Steer roper Chet Herren went up in the standings from 12th to 11th.
• Bareback rider Tilden Hooper jumped up from 14th to 13th.
• Steer wrestler Kyle Irwin leaped from 10th to ninth.
• Steer roper Cody Lee moved up from fifth to fourth.
• Steer roper Landon McClaugherty went from 15th to 14th.
• Team roping header Riley Minor jumped in the standings from 10th to ninth.
• Bareback rider Cole Reiner leaped up from third to second.
• Steer roper Corey Ross moved from 16th to 15th.
• Team roping heeler Patrick Smith went from ninth to eighth.
• Steer wrestler Dirk Tavenner jumped from 14th to 13th.
• Team roping heeler Trey Yates leaped in the standings from 15th to 14th.
On The Bubble
• Steer wrestler Mike McGinn moved up from 17th to 16th and is $2,525 outside the Top 15.
• Bull rider Brady Portenier went from 17th to 16th and is $976 outside the Top 15.
Courtesy of PRCA