Brown was a man on a mission at the Santa Maria (Calif.) Elks Rodeo. He put together a pair of 4.5 and 4.6-second runs to win both rounds. His 9.1-second time on two head was also good enough to take home the average title. He credits his California success to the horse he was riding.
“I had an opportunity to ride Sterling Lambert’s horse Buzz out there and I think that was a big reason I did so good out there,” said Brown, 29. “He’s a great horse, good in the corner, and gave me two really good looks out there.”
He took home $3,353 for win, which bumped him up from 15th to 11th in the latest PRCA | RAM World Standings. Brown said the early summer boost is exactly what needed with the bulk of the season on the horizon.
“It’s good momentum for me and good timing before the schedule gets heavy here soon,” he said. “I want to keep climbing obviously and try to finish as high as possible this year. But I feel like I’m in a good spot headed into the summer.”
And he knows exactly what it will take to punch his ticket to Las Vegas again in 2022, a trip he’s made in back-to-back seasons.
“First and foremost, it’s going to take having a high win percentage,” Brown said. “Then you have to be riding a good horse, going down the road with good guys, and staying level with a positive attitude.”
Below, are the other cowboys who moved inside the Top 15 of the PRCA | RAM World Standings.
• Team roping heeler Jake Minor jumped up from 19th to 12th.
• Team roping header Dustin Egusquiza went from 11th to eighth.
• Team roping header Jeff Flenniken jumped up from 16th to 13th.
• Team roping heeler Joseph Harrison moved up in the standings from 12th to ninth.
• Bareback rider Tim O’Connell leaped from eighth to fifth.
• Steer wrestler Dirk Tavenner went up from 10th to seventh.
• Bareback rider Tanner Aus went up in the standings from fifth to fourth.
• Bareback rider Leighton Berry jumped from 12th to 11th.
• Saddle bronc rider Chase Brooks moved from 12th to 11th.
• Saddle bronc rider Kade Bruno leaped up from 15th to 14th.
• Saddle bronc rider Brody Cress went from third to second.
• Steer wrestler Ty Erickson jumped in the standings from ninth to eighth.
• Bull rider Cole Fischer moved up from 12th to 11th.
• Bareback rider R.C. Landingham leaped from 15th to 14th.
• Steer roper Cody Lee went up in the standings from third to second.
• Tie-down roper Tyler Milligan jumped from fourth to third.
• Team roping header Cody Snow moved up from sixth to fifth.
• Team roping heeler Wesley Thorp leaped from sixth to fifth.
• Saddle bronc rider Kolby Wanchuk went up in the standings from ninth to eighth.
Courtesy of PRCA