National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum announces Prix de West seminars, workshops, demonstrations, and a volunteer opportunity with American West’s contemporary visual artists.
The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum celebrates the 43rd Annual Prix de West Invitational Art Exhibition & Sale, June 6 – 16, with workshops, trunk shows, seminars, artist demonstrations, volunteer opportunities, and private tours featuring Prix de West artists and scholars from across the country.
Prix de West seminar speakers, panelists, teachers, and demonstrators include Carolyn Anderson, Loren Entz,Daniel F. Gerhartz, Michael Grauer, Bruce R. Greene, Doug Hyde, David A. Leffel, Susan Lyon, Dean Mitchell, Sherrie McGraw, Andrew Peters, Harvey Pratt, Morgan Weistling, and William Whitaker.
The exhibition paintings and sculptures created for this year’s Prix de West exhibition will be on view for all general admission guests between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., both Friday, June 10 and Saturday, June 11before the sale. Prix de West educational opportunities are included with general admission to the Museum such as trunk shows and artist demonstrations. Seminars and workshops are an additional fee. The full list of opportunities to learn from the 2016 Prix de West artists include:
- “Sculpting with Purpose” with artist Bruce R. Greene, June 6 – 9, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- “Drawing in the Prix de West Galleries” art students with a valid student ID are invited to draw in the galleries, June 10 – August 7, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- “Painting the Spirit of the Horse” with artist Loren Entz, June 13 – 16, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Workshop prices are $400 for each class, $380 for Museum members, and “Drawing in the Prix de WestGalleries” is included with the student discounted Museum admission. To make class reservations please call 405-478-2250, ext. 277.
- The Trunk Shows in The Museum Store feature Pendleton Woolen Mills blankets and apparel, sterling silver jewelry by The Bohlin Company, and jewelry designs by Pearls by Shari, June 10 – 11,10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Seminars and Panel Discussion
- “Ledger Art in the West” with Harvey Pratt, American forensic artist and Cheyenne-Arapaho visual artist, June 10, 9:15 a.m.
- “‘Shot in the Brisket!’ Western Pulp Covers as Modern Art” with Michael R. Grauer, Associate Director for Curatorial Affairs/Curator of Art and Western Heritage, Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, June 10, 10:15 a.m.
- “Figurative Art: A Conversation Among Friends” with artists Carolyn Anderson, Daniel F. Gerhartz, David A. Leffel, Dean Mitchell, and William Whitaker, moderated by Sherrie McGraw,June 10, 1:00 p.m.
- “Time Traveling with a Brush” with artist Morgan Weistling, June 11, 9:00 a.m.
- “What the Traveler Saw: A Circuitous Journey to Prix de West” with artist Andrew Peters, June 11, 10:00 a.m.
Seminars are $185, $135 for Museum members. To register for Prix de West seminars, call (405) 478-2250, ext. 219.
Prix de West Artist Demonstrations
- Sculpting with Doug Hyde, June 11, 12:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Doug Hyde demonstrates his process in stone carving outdoors on the Museum’s Western States Plaza.
- Painting with Susan Lyon, June 11, 12:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Susan Lyon reveals her methods of figurative painting in the Museum’s S. B. “Burk” Burnett Board Room.
- Become a Volunteer Art Seller to support Prix de West, June 11, 4:30 – 8:00 p.m. An hour and a half training session is available on Friday, June 3, 9:00 a.m. or Monday, June 6, 6:00 p.m.(refreshments provided). To select the training date and to confirm participation on Saturday, June 11, call (405) 478-2250, ext. 277.
- Prix de West Tour and Artist Demonstration with Loren Entz, June 14, 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. This exclusive member’s-only program for 30 people begins with a Prix de West exhibition tour and ends with a painting demonstration by 19-year Prix de West artist Loren Entz.
To become a Museum member or to register for the member activities, call (405) 478-2250, ext. 251.