Bareback rider Richmond Champion has had his share of memorable rides during his PRCA career.
One of those came in 2019 when he won the Redding (Calif.) Rodeo with a rodeo-record, 88-point ride on Big Stone Rodeo Inc.’s Hombre.
“I didn’t know it was a record, that’s awesome and an honor,” said Champion, a six-time National Finals Rodeo qualifier. “That was the first time I ever caught a check in Redding. It was rainy and muddy, and Hombre is an older horse. I had a feeling he might do a little better in the mud than say a younger horse. He’s mature and knows what’s he’s doing. I was really tickled to have him. There was a big mud puddle probably 20 yards in front of my bucking chute. He took about three jumps and saw that and decided to stay in one spot where the ground was dry, and it worked really well. I’m really excited to go back.”
The ride earned Champion $5,224.
Champion, who bought his PRCA card in 2012, is scheduled to ride Four Star Rodeo Company’s Lucky Charm Friday in Redding. He is third in the PRCA | RAM World Standings with $39,992.
After being canceled in 2020 because of COVID-19, the Redding Rodeo returns May 13-15, and cowboys will try to add their names to the Redding record book.
The ProRodeo Tour stop will be broadcast live on The Cowboy Channel and streamed on the PRCA on Cowboy Channel Plus App at 10 p.m. (ET).
“That’s a great rodeo and (there’s) a lot of history there,” Champion said. “Win, lose or draw it’s always one of my favorite rodeos to go to throughout the year.”
Redding Rodeo records
• Total payout: $193,451, 2009
• All-around: $6,447, Chant DeForest, 2017, tie-down roping and team roping
• Bareback riding: 88 points, Richmond Champion, 2019
• Steer wrestling: 3.2 seconds, Trevor Knowles, 2013 (7.4/2, Trevor Knowles, 2013)
• Team roping: 4.0 seconds, Wade Wheatley/Kyle Lockett, 2006 (9.7/2 Chant DeForest/Bronc Boehnlein, 2017)
• Saddle bronc riding: 87 points, Jake Watson, 2019
• Tie-down roping: 7.3 seconds, Clif Cooper, 2009; Shank Edwards, 2009; Jack Vanderlans, 2011; E.J. Roberts, 2012 (15.4/2, Clint Cooper, 2012)
• Barrel racing: 16.96 seconds, Trula Churchill, 2013 (34.50/2, Christina Richman, 2012)
• Bull riding: 93 points, Rocky McDonald, 1999; Shane Proctor, 2013
Courtesy of PRCA